- The Quotable Kofi Annan - access to quotes from the UN Secretary-General
The United Nations and Decolonization - "More than 80 nations whose peoples were formerly under colonial rule have joined the United Nations as sovereign independent States since the world Organization was founded in 1945. Additionally, many other Territories have achieved self-determination through political association with other independent States or through integration with other States. The United Nations has played a crucial role in that historic change"
UN-Department of Public Information: NGO site - "The Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) Section of the Department of Public Information (DPI) at United Nations Headquarters serves as the liaison between the Department and NGO associated with DPI. These organizations disseminate information about the UN to their constituency, thereby building knowledge of and support for the Organization at the grassroots level. Currently, close to 1,600 NGOs from all regions of the world are associated with DPI"
United Nations Information Technology Services - "to create a worldwide programme for information technology volunteers. They will work with their developing country partners to strengthen capacities for applying information and communications technologies (ICT) to human development, in particular in areas such as health, education, environment and small and micro- enterprises"
UN Intellectual History Project - "There is no adequate historical study of the origins and evolution of the history of ideas cultivated within the United Nations and of their impact on wider thinking and international action. Although certain aspects of the UN's economic and social activities have been the subject of books and articles, there is no comprehensive intellectual history of the world organization's contributions to setting the past, present, or future development agenda, nor a comprehensive intellectual history for the economic and social fields"
The Global Compact: Human Rights, Labor, and the Environment
- UN System Pathfinder
- "to identify major publications of the organizations comprising the United Nations system. Materials were selected with a view as to whether the information presented therein is current, relevant and useful. It includes global studies and reports, handbooks and guides, bibliographies and indices, international statistical publications, compilations of treaties, resolutions and documents as well as annual reports of UN bodies and specialized agencies"
- UN International Days
- UN International Years
- International Decades
ASEAN web - "The Association of Southeast Asian Nation (ASEAN) was established on 8 August 1967 in Bangkok, Thailand, with the signing of the Bangkok Declaration. The members of ASEAN are Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. The Secretariat of the Association is located in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Asian Development Bank - this is not a UN-organization but it is closely affiliated to the UN-system
Asia Recovery Information Center - "The objectives of the ARIC web site are to:
monitor the social and economic impacts of the Asian crisis and the recovery process with a view to identify the remaining policy agenda for a sustained social as well as economic recovery;
provide information on the response of the international community, concerned governments, non-government organizations (NGOs), and civil society-at-large to the crisis; and
monitor and contribute to on-going discussions of policy reform in response to the crisis.
Summit +5 - this is a UN organization's sub-organization
- UN Food and Agricultural Organization
- ILO - UN International Labour Organization
- International Training Center of ILO - located in Turin (Italy), the Center "assists ILO member States in their development efforts by providing training and learning opportunities in human resource development for representatives of governments, workers' and employers' organizations and civil society"
South-East Asia and the Pacific Multidisciplinary Advisory Team (SEAPAT)
- "helps governments, workers' and employers' organizations to formulate, launch, implement and evaluate policies, measures, programmes and projects, through technical cooperation activities and research to advance democracy, to fight poverty and to protect working people"
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- International Civil Aviation Organization
- International Civil Service Commission
- IMF - International Monetary Fund
- Integrative Global Action by Union of International Associations - a very rich resource on non-governmental organizations and international cooperation
- International Maritime Organization (IMO)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU) - this UN organization is concerned with the coordination, development, regulation and standardization of telecommunications and organization of regional and world networks
- a rich resource of non-governmental organizations, discussion groups, etc.
- Social Watch - a watchdog organization checking the social development implications of the UN
- South Centre - "an intergovernmental institution of the developing countries. The South Centre came formally into being as an intergovernmental body of developing countries on 31 July 1995, when the Intergovernmental Agreement to establish the Centre came into force. Currently, 46 countries are members of the South Centre. The Centre, however, works for the benefit of the South as a whole, making efforts to ensure that all developing countries and interested groups and persons have access to its publications and the results of its work, irrespective of membership"
- UN HQ - UN Headquarters
- UN Basic Social Services For All 1997 - global data on population with special focus on reproductive health and access to family planning services, primary health care, nutrition, basic education, drinking water and sanitation, shelter
- UN Cartographic Section - offers access to maps
- UN Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD)
- UN Centre for Human Settlement (UNCHS) - Habitat
- UNICEF - UN Children's Foundation
- UN Commission on Economic and Social Development
- UN Commission on Human Rights
- UN Commission on Population and Development
- UN Department of Humanitarian Affairs (UNDHA)
- UN Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM)
- UN Division for the Advancement of Women (UNDAW)
- UN Division for Sustainable Development (UNDSD)
- UNIDO - UN Industrial Development Organization
- UN Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute
- UN Population
Network (POPIN) - provided by the UN Development Program
- UNAIDS - UN Program on AIDS
- UN Reform - Commission on Global Governance
- UN Convention To Combat Desertification
- UNCTAD - UN Conference on Trade and Development
- UNDP - UN Development Program
- UNDCP - UN Drug Control Program, everything you always wanted to know about the *war against drugs*
- UNESCO - UN
Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
World Education Report 2000
Culture Link - "the Network of
Networks for Research and Cooperation in Cultural Development"
- Management of Social Transformations Programme (MOST) - "a research programme, designed by UNESCO, to promote international comparative social science research. Its primary emphasis is to support large-scale, long-term autonomous research and to transfer the relevant findings and data to decision-makers. MOST also publishes state of the art reports that assess existing information on specific topics. The overall long-term objective of MOST is to establish sustainable links between the scientific and policy communities and to emphasize the relevance of social science research for policy-formulation"
- UNESCO-DRG Interactive -
"has assembled link lists (information portals) relating to UNESCO's intersectorial activities
online and, more importantly, we have provided summaries for those resources. We let you know
what can be found at a site and who is putting that information on the Internet. Though we
cannot guarantee these lists, they are a good starting point for any research project, both on
- UNESCO-IBE - UNESCO International Bureau of Education - rich resources concerning comparative education
UNESCO Observatory on the Information Society
- UNEP - UN Environmental Program
- UNHCR - UN High Commissioner of Refugees
- UNFPA - UN Population Fund
- UNITAR - United Nations Institute for Training and Research
- UNRISD - UN Research Institute for Social Development
- UN Staff College
- UN Statistics Division
- UN Trade Point Development Center - "The United Nations International Symposium on Trade Efficiency (held in Columbus, Ohio, United States from 17 to 21 October 1994) officially launched the Global Trade Point Network. The interconnection of Trade Points constitutes the core objective of the second phase of the Trade Point Programme. Such interconnection will allow Trade Points and their users (especially small and medium-sized enterprises) to access competitive trade-related information services worldwide, and to enhance the efficiency with which they trade with each other"
- UNU - UN University (Tokyo)
- UNV - UN Volunteers
- World Bank - probably the
most advanced international organization as regards www-access to their programs and documents.
The World Bank offers the most comprehensive web-site as regards development issues and their
impact on living and working conditions of the people. The generous service to the public should
however not cloud the fact that the bank is still a bank. But if you want to know data and
documents, this is a good place to start with. Other UN agencies can learn a lot from the
World Bank as far as transparency is concerned.
- World Food Program (WFP)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
- World Trade Organization