Acting on Australia's Weight - National Implementation Strategy
- "to support the development of the national implementation strategy to prevent overweight and obesity in Australia. The strategy is based on the recommendations in the National Health and Medical Research Council's report Acting on Australia's Weight. Development of the implementation strategy is being coordinated by Health Strategies Deakin for the Commonwealth Department of Health and Family Services. Health Strategies Deakin will also be working closely with the National Heart Foundation in the development of the strategy. The NHF is one of Australia's leading non-government organisations with an interest in nutrition, physical activity and healthy weight"
America's Eating Habits: Changes and Consequences
- "Edited by Elizabeth Fraz„o, Food and Rural Economics Division, Economic Research
Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 750.
Individual chapters in this downloadable book provide different perspectives on the
nutrition problem in the United States: what are the economic costs associated with
unhealthy eating patterns; how do dietary patterns compare with dietary recommendations;
how do national income and prices, advertising, health claims, and trends in eating
away from home affect nutrient intake; how much do people know about nutrition and how
does nutrition knowledge and attitudes affect intake of fats and cholesterol; how do
different government programs and regulations influence food expenditures and consumption;
what are some public and private efforts to improve healthy eating; and what are potential
impacts of healthier eating on domestic agriculture"
Arbor Nutrition Guide
- the most comprehensive guide on nutrition issues currently available on
Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) [USA]
- "a nonprofit education and advocacy organization that focuses on improving the safety and nutritional quality of our food supply and on reducing the carnage caused by alcoholic beverages. CSPI seeks to promote health through educating the public about nutrition and alcohol; it represents citizens' interests before legislative, regulatory, and judicial bodies; and it works to ensure that advances in science are used for the public's good"
Diet Advice International (Australia)
- a web-site by Roy Price, including a description of "The Food Wheel© ... an innovative nutrition education tool which will revolutionise your nutrition education abilities. The tool is especially useful when discussing change to eating behaviour with people who have poor literacy skills. Nevertheless, from my own experience using the tool, clients with high literacy levels also appreciate the tool's flexibility and clarity of message delivery"
Eating Disorder Referral and Information Center (USA)
- "provides information and treatment resources for all forms of eating disorders. Our goal is to provide assistance, in the form of information and resources, to those suffering with eating disorders to get them started on the road to recovery and healthy living"
Eating disorders in a disordered culture
- a growing site providing historical and contemporary resources
Eat Well Live Well Research and Information Centre
- this is an Australian project based at Monash University (Melbourne); the web-site provides comprehensive information on nutrition and health promotion
Food and Nutrition Information Center (USA)
- located at the National Agricultural Library, one "can access all of FNIC's resource lists and databases, as well as many other food and nutrition related links", excellent resources
Food and Nutrition on the Web
- a comprehensive web-site provided by Jean Fremont RD (Simon Fraser University, Canada),
Food safety and nutrition information (USA)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Health and Fat People
Genetically engineered food: Safety problems
- excellent resource on the impact of biotechnology on human health and the environment
Healthy Eating, Healthy Victoria (Australia)
- A discussion paper for the Victorian Food and Nutrition: Policy Into
Action Forum (Date published: 21 June 1996)
- "to help prevent and eradicate hunger by facilitating the free exchange
of ideas and information regarding the causes of, and solutions to, hunger.
It contains primary information, made available by the World Hunger Program -
the prime sponsor of this site - and its partners, as well as links to other
sites where information of relevance to hunger can be found"
Insulin Free World Foundation
- devoted to helping people to find ways---not to manage, not to live with---but to overcome diabetes. This site was created by diabetics, for diabetics
Linus Pauling Institute
- based at Oregon State University (USA), the mission of the Institute "is to determine the function and role of micronutrients, phytochemicals and microconstituents of food in maintaining human health and preventing and treating disease; and to advance the knowledge in areas which were of interest to Linus Pauling through research and education. The LPI continues the pioneering efforts of Linus Pauling in orthomolecular medicine, an area of medicine devoted to restoring the optimal concentrations and functions of the substances (e.g., vitamins) normally present in the human body"
National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) - [USA]
Nutrition and Health: WWW resources
- provided by Information Services, Arizona Health Sciences Library,
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724
Public Health Nutrition Information on the Web
- compiled by Laura Larsson
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine Nutrition Education and
Vegetarian Resource Group
- "a non-profit organization dedicated to educating the public on vegetarianism and the interrelated issues of health, nutrition, ecology, ethics, and world hunger. In addition to publishing the Vegetarian Journal, VRG produces and sells cookbooks, other books, pamphlets, and article reprints. Our health professionals, activists, and educators work with businesses and individuals to bring about healthy changes in your school, workplace, and community. Registered dietitians and physicians aid in the development of nutrition related publications and answer member or media questions about the vegetarian diet"
Virtual Nutrition Center
- a huge collection of information on all aspects of nutrition, almost
WHO Division of Food and Nutrition
WWW Virtual Library: Nutrition