Third Ministerial Conference: Environment & Health (WHO-EURO), London 1999
- "The conference will be the third in a series organized by WHO for European environment and health ministers. Ministers will be asked to make concrete commitments to action on six strategic priorities: water-related diseases, transport, national policies, involving the public and nongovernmental organizations, good practice for industry and workplaces, and environment and health economics"
Air Quality - an historical perspective (United Kingdom)
Air Quality Resources on the Web
Baltic Sea Project
- "first regional project within UNESCO Associated Schools Project to combine environmental education on a specific environmental issue, the Baltic Sea and intercultural learning"
Center for Environmental and Human Toxicology (University of Florida)
- "The Center for Environmental and Human Toxicology serves as the focal point at the
University of Florida for activities concerning the effects of chemicals on human and animal
health. The Center serves as an interface between basic research and its application for
evaluation of human health and environmental risks. This interface includes an educational
component to transfer this knowledge to producers, consumers, and regulators"
Center for Environmental Health Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- rich resources
Center for Health, Environment and Justice (USA)
- "CCHW is the only national environmental organization founded and led by grassroots leaders. After winning the federal relocation of residents victimized by toxic waste at Love Canal, Lois Gibbs and other local activists were inundated with calls from people around the country who were facing similar threats and wanted help. CCHW was founded in 1981 to address this need. Over the years, CCHW has worked with grassroots community groups on a broad range of environmental issues, including toxic waste, solid waste, air pollution, incinerators, medical waste, radioactive waste, pesticides, sewage and industrial pollution. We have also begun to work with communities exploring environmentally sound economic development"
Center for Health and the Global Environment
- "the first such center at a medical school in the United States and an
official Collaborating Center of the United Nations Environment Programme, was
founded because the relationship of human health to the health of the global
environment has not, in general, been understood either by policy-makers or
Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (United Kingdom)
- founded in 1883, an entirely independent organisation representing the
professional interests of approximately 9,100 environmental health officers.
It offers a range of professional, educational and membership services to
environmental health officers and to those interested in environmental health.
It also operates a trading company, Chadwick House Group Limited, which
produces environmental health publications, training courses, conferences,
exhibitions and seminars. The CIEH has been designated by the World Health
Organisation as a Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health Management in
Europe and it was a founder member of the International Federation of
Center for Community Action and Environmental Justice (USA)
- "a resource center for community groups working on environmental justice issues. We provide information / publications; direct assistance to groups; outreach, referral and network development, and training / leadership development"
Chemical Industry Archives
- "describes how large chemical corporations knew for decades that their products posed serious, even life-threatening health risks to their workers and customers. It describes how these companies concealed this information from the public -- and continued to sell products that they knew were dangerous. This website also exposes the industry-funded public relations and lobbying campaigns that were designed to obscure the truth about the health risks of toxic chemicals. The Chemical Industry Archives consists of thousands of internal documents from the chemical industry and from its national trade associations. Most of these documents were obtained in connection with legal proceedings against the chemical industry"
Climate change and human health (USA)
- located at Johns Hopkins University, the site "provides recent and relevant information about the potential impacts of climate change through integrated assessment. This web site aims to appropriately characterize and communicate current scientific research to support policy development and analysis"
CQS Health and Environment
- an excellent web-site offering information on environmental health and toxicology
EcoSystem Information (Canada)
- "information related to ecosystems in the Pacific and Yukon Region. This includes state of the environment reporting, enviromental indicators, and programs and reports on ecosystem science, monitoring and research"
Environmental Health & Related Links
- provided by the University of Washington, Environmental Health Library - an excellent web-site
Environmental Health Perspectives Home Page (USA)
- a pretty comprehensive web-site providing a wealth of information
Environmental Health Project
- "established by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to assist the agency to
achieve reductions in illness and death among children under five in developing countries from diarrheal disease, malaria, and acute respiratory infections - three major diseases related to environmental conditions and
reduce the burden of infectious diseases of public health importance."
Environmental Working Group (USA)
- "a leading content provider for public interest groups and concerned citizens who are campaigning to protect the environment. Through our reports, articles, technical assistance and the development of computer databases and Internet resources, EWG's staff of 18 researchers, computer experts and writers produce hundreds of headline-making reports each year, drawing on original EWG analyses of government and other data. EWG is based in Washington, D.C., with an office in San Francisco"
- provides information on indoor air quality management; this is a
commercial site, but well-balanced
European Federation for Transport and Environment
- "a European umbrella for non-governmental organisations working in the field of transport and the environment, promoting an environmentally responsible approach to transport"
European Topic Centre on Air Quality
- "established in 1994 by the European Environment Agency (EEA) . The centre is a combination of four institutes from three countries. The lead institute is the Dutch National Institute of Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) , forming a team with the Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU) , the National Observatory of Athens (NOA) from Greece and the Norwegian Meteorological Institute (DNMI)"
Global Warming Information Center
- provides up-to-date resources on global warming, highly recommended
Glossary: Global Warming
- provided by the Environmental Protection Agency of the USA
- a project from the Faculty of Environmental Sciences, Griffith University, Brisbane (Australia), "this hotline has been developed for secondary school students to research and write assignments on environmental topics. It provides a guide to using the WWW in research, examples of different assignment writing styles, and hotlinks to hundreds of sites on over 50 environmental topics"
Health Costs of Low-Level Ionizing Radiation
- "50+ years of Lethal Deception by what has become the International Nuclear Mafia. This site is dedicated to providing information about the health costs of man-made low-level ionizing radiation"
International Federation of Environmental Health
- "aims to link organisations of environmental health professionals around the world. It has no individual members. Each constituent body appoints members to the Federation Council which is its governing body"
Lori Colomeda PhD (Salish Kootenai College, Pablo, MT, USA) on Indigenous health
- a speech delivered in Brisbane (Australia) in September 1998
My Health My World Project
- "has developed exciting educational materials on current environmental issues for students in grades K-4. The goal of the My Health My World project is to promote a deeper understanding of the relationships between the environment and health, while conveying the excitement of "doing science" with elementary school students. Project materials engage students and their families in environmental issues as they learn fundamental physical and life science concepts and acquire problem-solving and decision making skills"
National Air Pollution Surveillance (Canada)
- "established in 1969 as a joint program of the federal and provincial governments to monitor and assess the quality of the ambient air in Canadian urban centres"
National Environmental Health Association (USA)
- "had its origins in the state of California where it was incorporated in 1937. The original impetus behind the creation of a national professional society for environmental health practitioners was the desire by professionals of that day to establish a standard of excellence for this developing profession. This standard, which has come to be known as the Registered Environmental Health Specialist or Registered Sanitarian credential, evidences that one has mastered a body of knowledge (which is verified through the passing of an examination) and has acquired sufficient experience, thereby indicating that work responsibilities in the environmental health field can be satisfactorily performed. The pioneers of the association believed that such a credential was necessary if the environmental health field was to grow and take shape as a legitimate and widely respected profession. Drawing on the original effort that led to the creation of NEHA, the association today stands as a 5,200 member strong professional society"
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (USA)
- "to reduce the burden of human illness and dysfunction from environmental causes by understanding each of these elements and how they interrelate. The NIEHS achieves its mission through multidisciplinary biomedical research programs, prevention and intervention efforts, and communication strategies that encompass training, education, technology transfer, and community outreach"
National Toxics Network (Australia)
- "a community based network with a common aim to reduce the chemical load on the environment and to promote environmentally responsible technologies and management systems"
Noise Pollution Clearinghouse (USA)
- "a national non-profit organization with extensive online noise related resources.
The Noise Pollution Clearinghouse seeks to:
The mission of the Noise Pollution Clearinghouse is to create more civil cities and
more natural rural and wilderness areas by reducing noise pollution at the source"
Raise awareness about noise pollution
Create, collect, and distribute information and resources regarding noise pollution
Strengthen laws and governmental efforts to control noise pollution
Establish networks among environmental, professional, medical, governmental, and activist
groups working on noise pollution issues
Assist activists working against noise pollution
Ozone Hole Tour
- offered by Glenn Carver, Centre for Atmospheric Science, Cambridge University (United Kingdom): "We originally created the Ozone Hole Tour to illustrate some of the research work that we do on ozone depletion. However, recently we have been pleasantly surprised by the increasing number of students from schools and colleges who come to the Ozone Hole Tour as part of assignments or homework, where the student is looking for information about the ozone hole. Some of these students email queries to us which we do our best to answer. As a result of this and in light of the comments received on the earlier version of the tour, we have revised the content and hopefully made it better suited to students' needs"
Pesticide Action Network North America (PANNA)
- "has campaigned to replace pesticides with ecologically sound alternatives since 1982. PANNA links over 100 affiliated health, consumer, labor, environment, progressive agriculture and public interest groups in Canada, Mexico and the U.S. with thousands of supporters worldwide to promote healthier, more effective pest management through research, policy development, education, media, demonstrations of alternatives and international advocacy campaigns"
Population and Environment Linkages Service
- "Information and Communication for Understanding - books, reports, journal articles, newspaper articles, news analysis, maps, conference papers, datasets, slide shows, organizations, regional overviews, laws, bills, and court decisions, and much more from around the world . . . from the simple to the technical . . . and person-to-person communication" - provided by the National Council for Science and the Environment (USA)
Rachel Carson Homestead
- "is the birthplace and childhood home of ecologist Rachel Carson, whose 1962 book "Silent Spring" launched the modern environmental movement. Born in this five-room farmhouse, Carson's childhood here in southwestern Pennsylvania nurtured a love and respect for nature and natural things which would guide her the rest of her life. "Silent Spring" warned of the dangers of indiscriminate pesticide use and established her as one of the most important and influential activists in history. The Rachel Carson Homestead Association was formed in 1975 to preserve and restore this site and to offer education programs which advance Rachel Carson's environmental ethic. In addition to guided tours of the house and grounds, we offer environmental education classes and programs for children and adults, school and outreach programs, and serve as an international resource for information about her life and work"
Stop Dioxin Exposure Campaign (USA)
- "For 10 years we have waited for the Environmental Protection Agency to make public their findings on the sources and human health effects of dioxin exposure. During this time we have all fought long and hard to protect our communities and our families from this dangerous chemical. We have shut down municipal waste incinerators, and stopped hazardous waste incinerators and PVC production facilities from being built. While we have been working to protect our communities, corporations have been working to protect their profits. Their lobbyists have lined the halls of Congress and the EPA. They've hired public relations firms and spent millions of dollars on advertising campaigns. Let's face it - corporations have a stronghold on the EPA and Congress"
Stratospheric Ozone and Human Health Project
- "to provide data and resources in the areas of ultraviolet (UV) radiation, ozone, and human health impacts of UV exposure for use by researchers, educators, government officials, health providers, students, and the general public"
US Global Change Research Information Office (GCRIO)
- provides access to data and information on global change research,
adaptation/mitigation strategies and technologies, and global change related
educational resources on behalf of the US Global Change Research Program
(USGCRP) and its participating Federal Agencies and Organizations. GCRIO is
implemented by The Consortium for International Earth Science Information
WHO Program on Environmental Health