UN International Year of Older Persons - 1999
Ageing and Ethnicity Web
- "gives world wide information on issues related to minority ethnic older persons"
- a web-site by the Centers for Disease Control (USA), offering access to databases, a longitudinal study on aging in the USA and to other resources
American Society on Aging
- "For over 40 years, the American Society on Aging has been an active and effective resource for professionals in aging and aging-related fields who want to enhance their ability to promote the well-being of aging people and their families"
Centre for Policy on Ageing
- an independent United Kingdom organisation aiming to formulate and
promote social policies which will allow all older people to achieve the full
potential of their later years
- "a network of organisations and individuals that promotes good policy and practice on ageing in the interests of the 120 million older people in the European Union"
European Alzheimer Clearing House
- bring together the initiatives in dementia care in the European Union in
order to make better use of existing information and expertise and to put
forward and select examples of good practice in the field of care for patients
with the Alzheimer Disease and related disorders
GeroNet: Health & Aging Resources for Higher Education
- Sponsored by the California Geriatric Education Center (through a grant
from the U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration) and the State of
California's Academic Geriatric Resource Program.
GeroWeb Virtual Library on Aging
Global Action on Aging
- "an international organization that works to insure a good life for older persons world wide. It reports on older people's needs and potential and it brings together people of all generations to advocate"
Health and Population Aging: A Multinational Comparison
- a paper by Gerard F. Anderson, Ph.D. and Peter S. Hussey (Johns Hopkins University) from October 1999
International Federation of Ageing
- "its objectives are to advance the well-being of ageing persons around
the world, to provide a worldwide forum for the discussion of problems of
ageing and preparation for retirement, to promote the exchange of information
and experiences among associations of the ageing and organizations serving
them, as well as interested individuals, to foster the development of
associations that represent or serve the ageing, and to facilitate and promote
cooperation among international organizations related to the field of
- "a web site created to provide students (ages 12-18) from around the world with the opportunity to interactively learn about aging and older adults. In addition, LinkAge 2000 serves as a resource for teachers and educators who want to incorporate the study of aging into the curriculum. LinkAge 2000's goals are threefold: to acquaint students with the science of geriatrics; to familiarize students and teachers with the major issues in gerontology; and to convey the social and cultural aspects of aging and growing old"
The National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging (USA)
- "to advance research on aging by helping researchers to profit from the under-exploited potential of a broad range of datasets. NACDA acquires and preserves data relevant to gerontological research, processing as needed to promote effective research use, disseminates them to researchers, and facilitates their use. By preserving and making available the U.S.'s largest library of electronic data on aging, NACDA offers opportunities for secondary analysis on major issues of scientific and policy relevance"
- "Generations now alive are among the first in history to be raised with the expectation of old age,
forerunners of a longevity revolution that will be felt for centuries to come. Some twenty percentage
of all humans who have ever lived past the age of 65 are now alive. Aging is not a singular process: we age biologically, psychologically, and sociologically, and the "aging experience" is determined by the unique interactions between these various clocks"
The Living Conditions of the 80-100-year-olds
- an Interview Survey among the Elderly in 75 Danish Municipalities