- a gateway to information on all types of addictions, one of the best resources currently available
Asian Harm Reduction Network
Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse
- Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse a non-profit organization working to
minimize the harm associated with the use of alcohol, tobacco and other
Drug Policy Foundation
- "an independent, nonprofit organization with over 23,000 supporters that publicizes alternatives to current drug strategies. DPF believes that the drug war is not working: It erodes individual rights, is extremely expensive, creates a new class of criminals, subsidizes a violent black market, does not control drug use trends, and ignores the health aspects of drug use. It is time to examine sensible alternatives to current drug policies. Examples of certain alternative controls already exist in other countries and, to a growing extent, in the United States"
- "If you have reservations about the War on Drugs, explore DrugSense to become better informed and, if you are so moved, become active in making a positive change"
- "DrugScope has been created through the merger of the UK's foremost drug information and policy organisations: the Institute for the Study of Drug Dependence (ISDD) and the Standing Conference on Drug Abuse (SCODA) - two charities with a total of sixty years in the national and international drugs field. DrugScope is one of the UK's leading centres of expertise on drugs. Our aim is to inform policy development and reduce drug-related risk. We provide quality drug information, promote effective responses to drug taking, undertake research at local, national and international levels, advise on policy-making, encourage informed debate and speak for our members working on the ground"
European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA)
- "to assist with general networking of qualitative researchers, to encourage dialogue and the sharing of ideas"
Frontline: Drug wars (USA)
- "collaboration of PBS with National Public Radio that examines a multibillion-dollar cancer that has widely metastasized deep within the world economy"
Harm Reduction Information Center
Human Rights and the Drug War
- "Originally developed in conjunction with the United Nations' 50th anniversary in 1995, Human Rights Atrocities of the Drug War is a special exhibit designed to bring awareness to the general public and policy makers about the human casualties and costs of the U.S. Drug War. The ongoing exhibit, now known as Human Rights and the Drug War, is a project of Human Rights 95 (HR95) and presents the Drug War in the context of its violations of The UN Universal Declaration on Human Rights and the American Bill of Rights"
International Harm Reduction Association
Join Together Online (USA)
- Join Together Online is a national resource center and meeting place for
communities working to reduce substance abuse (illicit drugs, excessive alcohol
& tobacco) and gun violence.
The Lindesmith Center (USA)
- "The Lindesmith Center is a policy research institute founded in 1994
that focuses on broadening the debate on drug policy and related issues. The
center houses a library and information center, organizes seminars and
conferences, acts as a link between scholars, government and the media,
directs a grants program in central and eastern Europe and undertakes projects
on special topics such as methadone policy reform and alternatives to drug
testing in the workplace. The guiding principle of the center is harm reduction,
an alternative approach to drug policy and treatment that focuses on minimizing
the adverse effects of both drug use and drug prohibition. Particular attention
is focused on analyzing the experiences of foreign countries in reducing
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (USA)
National Institute on Drug Abuse (USA)
Needle Exchange Programs
- this web-site provides information on Needle Exchange Programs in the USA and elsewhere. It links to rich resources, however, the language in some of its links may be offensive to some
New Zealand Needle Exchange Program
The November Coalition (USA)
- "We are a growing body of citizens whose lives have been gravely affected
by our government's present drug policy. Our goal is to make our voice heard,
expose the folly of America's War on Drugs, and demand change. We are
encouraged by the scores of Federal Judges, physicians, law enforcement
officers, lawyers, mayors, governors, educators and legislators who have
become outspoken critics of our country's current policy."
Stop the DrugWar
- "America's leadership in the global War on Drugs has wrought: crime, violence, corruption, gangs, injection-related AIDS, overdoses and poisonings, more dangerous forms of drugs, undertreatment of pain, criminalization of medical marijuana users, erosion of rights, failing drug education, drugs in schools, destabilization of Latin America, human rights violations, disrespect for law, overcriminalization of minority populations, cruel mandatory minimum sentences, hundreds of billions wasted, the highest incarceration rate in the world ... and no reduction in addiction or harm" - this site is highly recommended as it displays the human side of the *war against drugs*
TACADE - The Advisory Council on Alcohol and Drug Education (UK)
- UN Drug Control Program, everything you always wanted to know about the
*war against drugs*
Web of Addictions
WHO Division of Mental Health and Prevention of Substance Abuse